KEEPING BUILDING WATER SYSTEMS FREE OF LEGIONELLA DURING COVID AS PER NEW DOH GUIDELINES
Omega’s Environmental Services Water Management team is here to discuss the problems associated with stagnant water in buildings and new State DOH Guidelines to keep building occupants safe.
Many buildings have had reduced operations in water usage due to full or partial COVID shutdowns. This can lead to conditions that promote the growth of Legionella and other harmful bacteria that can impact Staff and/or other building occupants. For healthcare buildings that have continues to operate during COVID, Legionella still needs to be monitored.
The New Jersey Department of Health has issued a Guidance document on their web site: https://www.nj.gov/health/cd/topics/legon.shtml to assist Building Owners in dealing with this issue.
Omega is advising its Clients that thier building water systems must be actively maintained to reduce the growth of harmful bacteria.
Based on recent published ASHRAE, NJDOH, and CDC Guidelines, Building Managers should incorporate Legionella management practices in their building plans:
- Routine flushing of the water system and fixtures.
- Legionella surveillance testing to assess current water system status.
- Verify potable hot water (HW) system is being maintained within correct temperature range
- Flush, clean, and replace fixtures and appliance filters.
- Showerheads and faucet aerators: remove, clean/disinfect, and replace after flushing.
- Verify ongoing cooling tower maintenance (dispensing of chemical treatment).
- Update and follow your Building Legionella Management Plan.
LEGIONELLA FIELD DATA UPDATE
Most of the facilities Omega has recently performed Legionella testing at (May-July 2020) have reported positive Legionella results.
Omega’s Water Management Teams are available to assist you and have been able to develop cost-effective solutions.
Please feel free to call Kim at 201-489-8700 with questions or assistance with any of your water management needs.
Stay in touch
Sign up for our email list to stay in touch with Omega!